Sunday, July 15, 2007

Heading to Portland

We left this morning at about 9:15 Boise time and headed over to Portland via I-84. Hit the same long construction zone from Friday's Hells Canyon trip, but once we got past that, all went well.

Not much to mention for this day, other than a lot of driving again. Pretty desolate in eastern Oregon, with some forest land here and there. The drive got more interesting once we hit the Columbia River and the gorge closer to Portland.

Once we were about 35 miles out of Portland, we got off I-84 and took the scenic highway which takes you past several waterfalls, such as Horsetail, Bridal Veil, and Multnomah and ultimately up to the Vista House, the best view from any rest stop I've ever been to.

It'd been a long day, so after we checked into the hotel in Vancouver, WA, we had dinner at a local restaurant and called it an early night. I didn't fret too much, since at some point in my life I plan to visit Portland for at least a week to hit all the different breweries and pubs for which they are so famous. Tonight I settled on a Deschutes Black Butte Porter at dinner, and then a bottle each of Redhook Long Hammer IPA and Deschutes Bachelor ESB at the hotel before turning in.

No comments: