Monday, February 18, 2013

A Few Saisons at The Knick (Beers #19-21)

When my wife and I go to the Altoona area, there are really only two places we go to drink good beer.  The first is Marzoni's Brick Oven & Brewing in Duncansville, and the second is the Knickerbocker Tavern in Altoona (aka "The Knick"). 

The Knick always has a great selection of drafts - in fact, in all the years I've been going there, I don't think there has been a single instance where I didn't find at least one beer on tap that I'd not tried before. Usually, there are two or three.  The bottle selection is terrific, too, though by the time I've had a few pints, I've got no room left for bottles!

The food is really good, too. Not too much in the way of large dinner entrees, but tons of apps, salads, and great sandwiches. If you're not in the mood for a burger, I suggest the avocado and Brie sandwich (to which I always add bacon).

The most recent trip was on a Sunday afternoon in January, where we met my in-laws for dinner to celebrate my father-in-law's birthday.  I was happy to see three new saisons on tap (my favorite beer style), and I tried all of them.

19/365: 21st Amendment Spring Saison:
Citrus notes with lemongrass, coriander and ginger in the nose. Floral and fruity. Pale golden yellow clear with thin head. Medium body with medium carbonation. Starts sweet with honey and pale malt. Spicy with lemongrass, cardamon, and ginger. Light bitter finish with spicy sweet after. A little sweet at the end.  Saison  62/100

20/365: Brooklyn Sorachi Ace:
Fresh grassy hop aroma with light grainy notes. A very distinctive nose on this with mild sweetness. Medium golden clear with white thin foamy lacing head. Medium body with medium-high carbonation. Medium sweet start with fresh oranges and orange peel. Oaky with mild vanilla. Spicy herbal hop note with light bitter finish and bitter sweet after. Smooth saison with nice flavors.  Saison  76/100

21/365: New Holland Four Witches Black Saison:
Roasted malt and biscuit, toffee and Twizzlers. A bit of licorice. Sweet nose. Dark brown-black opaque with thin light tan lacing head. Medium body with medium-high carbonation. Starts sweet with molasses and Twizzlers, light licorice, and mild fruity notes. A bit of alcohol. Nutty sweet bitterness at finish with a little bit of sweet tang. Smooth sweet after.   Saison  64/100
Next up ... a beer geek's day out

No comments: